Any reliance you place on information contained in the Community Directory is strictly at your own risk. It is therefore recommended that, if you wish to use or access any of the services listed on this website, you should conduct your own separate checks to ensure the service/organisation meets your needs and requirements.
This checklist can be used as a guide when deciding to accept, attend and/or participate in services provided by an organisation or group.
Please note that this advice is given as a guide only and is given without any liability. In some circumstances this advice may not be sufficient. Therefore where appropriate you may need to seek further independent expert advice.
DOES THIS SERVICE KEEP ME SAFE?
- Are there policies and procedures in place to protects children, young people and/or vulnerable adults? Service managers should be able to provide these on request.
- Have staff/volunteers had background checks? For more information on this you can visit the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) here.
- If you have a concern about your or someone else’s safety please read our ‘Reporting a concern’
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS AND/OR TRAINING HAVE THE STAFF/VOLUNTEERS HAD TO UNDERTAKE THIS SERVICE?
- There are certain jobs which require registration to prove the individual is qualified and fit to practice their job in England. You can search and check a person’s professional registration online. For more information click here.
- In other job roles, it is expected that staff members and volunteers to have undergone some form of training and/or induction period. Ask the service manager about what training staff/volunteers have received, how often this is renewed and how much experience the staff members/volunteers have.
- Some basic training might include First Aid, Food Hygiene, Safeguarding etc.
- Have those who drive vehicles as part of their role got the appropriate insurance and taxation?
WHAT ARE THE STAFF/VOLUNTEERS LIKE?
- Are staff/volunteers accessible and contactable?
- Are they knowledgeable about the service? Can they answer my questions?
- Are they helpful and kind?
- Do they make you and service users feel safe, comfortable and secure?
- Do they show you dignity and respect to your beliefs and values?
IS THIS SERVICE OF HIGH QUALITY?
- Some services are regulated and their standards are monitored by a regulatory body. To view which services are regulated and to check how well the service is performing click here.
- If the service is regulated, how well is it performing/what is their rating?
- If the service is preparing and serving food, do they have a Food hygiene and safety certificate? You can check food hygiene ratings here.
- What are the views of other users and attendees of the service?
- Are there appropriate health and safety policy and procedures in place i.e. fire safety
- Does the service operate an anti-discriminatory practice?
- Is there a complaints procedure?
- Is there appropriate and valid insurance and public liability in place?
WHAT IS THE PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT / BUILDING LIKE?
- Are buildings safe and secure?
- Is the environment clean, free from hazards and clear of obstacles?
- Are all areas easily accessible for everyone?