We are CISWO, The Coal Mining Charity. We’re a UK-wide charity providing free support to former coal miners and their families.
Since 1995, we’ve been working to improve lives and reduce disadvantage in coal mining communities. Our services make a real difference to people’s lives. Our focus is on providing for former mineworkers and their families most in need through our personal welfare service, helping people with practical and emotional support, benefits advice, advice about coping with ill-health and immobility and providing access to financial support.
We also work to secure the future of recreational facilities in former coal mining communities and work with local mining charities to ensure their services continue.
We’re here to improve the lives of former coal miners and their families. We understand the struggles faced by those in former coal mining communities. We help you overcome some of the barriers you come up against and support you to lead a better quality life.
We support you through our tailored services, providing packages of support free of charge. Our support is available to former mineworkers, their wives, partners, widows and any dependent children with a disability.
Through our bespoke service, we aim to enhance living conditions, maintain independence and reduce social isolation.
Each led by a qualified Social Worker, our experienced teams offer:
- A confidential home visiting service to provide advice and support across a range of issues.
- Advocacy to support and enable people to express their views and concerns, and defend and promote their rights and responsibilities, including access to information and services.
- Emotional support at times of personal difficulty, including loss and bereavement, illness and caring responsibilities.
- Assistance to complete welfare benefit applications and industry related associated compensation schemes.
- Advice on mining related issues including illness and disability.
- Help people to access mobility equipment including walking aids and wheelchairs.
- Reducing loneliness and social isolation through our day centre and community focused projects.
- Support at times of exceptional hardship to access grants through CISWO or financial assistance through other agencies and charities.
- Access to holidays and convalescence at locations across the UK
- Support to access educational grants for former miners and their dependents through CISWO