If you suspect a crime has been committed then you must always contact the Police:

In an emergency dial 999.

If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, use the textphone service 18000 or text 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergencySMS service.

If it is not an emergency please dial  101 or report the crime online via the Staffordshire Police website.

If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, use the textphone service on 18001 101.

Adult Safeguarding: How to Report abuse?

If you suspect an adult(s) is, or at risk of, being abused or neglected then you must report it.  Suspicion is enough.  Don’t worry if you are not sure, the person on the phone will help you to forward your concerns to the right team.

If the adult lives in Stoke-on-Trent:

Telephone:           0800 561 0015 at any time
Minicom:              01782 236037

If the adult lives in Staffordshire:

Telephone:          0345 604 2719   (Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5pm) (Fridays 8:30am to  4:30pm, excluding Bank Holidays)
0345 604 2886 (at any other time)

To find out more about what abuse is, then click here.

To find out more about who may need safeguarding, then click here.

Remember: If it is an emergency and someone is seriously hurt, or the abuser is still with the adult and they are in immediate danger ring the Police on 999.

Every local authority must set up a safeguarding adult board. The Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Adult Safeguarding Partnership include Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Staffordshire County Council, Staffordshire Police and the NHS.  For more information about Adult Safeguarding and the Partnership Board then please click here.


If you suspect an offer, email or telephone call is a scam you can report it to Action Fraud or the Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

If you have made a payment in response to a scam, contact your bank as soon as possible as they may be able to recover some of your money and will refund you in certain circumstances.

If you have lost money as a result of a scam, contact the police.

The City Council send out emails when we become aware of a scam, so you can be on the lookout and avoid becoming a victim. Sign up to scam alert emails here.

Other concerns

If you have any other concerns then you can report these concerns to the service regulator (click here for more information), or alternatively let us know directly by completing the following form: